Sunday, August 22, 2010

a reminder....

My original intent with this blog was to create a place where I could "journal" about my experiences throughout this pregnancy, and eventually about Colby's life.  It was meant for me, for him, for Jimmy and I - to keep all those memories and not forget what we went through to get to this point.  But I know I have a few followers, and that I have others who read it on occasion. 

But... last night I had another "experience" that I totally wanted to get down SOMEWHERE so that I didn't forget.... but was nervous to put it on here.  Then I realized I'm not forcing anyone to read this.... and this would be the place I'd record any "milestone" I hit.... so... here goes. 

I will warn you that this post may be too much information for some... or many.... but like I said, I don't want to forget a thing about this pregnancy, and since this is the only journal I have been keeping..... it's going here.  So if you're squeemish, or just don't want to know THAT much about me... stop reading.  You have been warned.

But.... I lost my mucus plug last night!!! :-) I know this basically doesn't mean diddly squat about impending labor, etc., but it was exciting to me at least! :-)


We were headed to bed, and I had noticed I just felt a little funky down there.... went to the bathroom, and was like "hmm..... what's that?" Some of it came out when I wiped - a pretty good amount. Almost flushed it, but then realized there was a *slight* possibility Jimmy would want to see it (I know.... sounds gross - but we're first timers, and I think the excitement outweighs the grossness factor). So I came out of the bathroom, announced it to Jimmy, and he was like "well I guess I'll have to see it" (I thought he meant I was forcing him to, but he meant 'cause he was curious) Haha. Yes, we're dorks.  So glad we did the childbirth class, because he was prepared, at least, for this concept... which is, I think, why he wasn't SEVERELY grossed out.

A while later I went to the bathroom again, and the rest of it came out. Even more. I was amazed!  I thought it was done after that first encounter - but there was more.  It basically just looked like a bunch of snot (yum... I know.... I warned you if you're still reading).  Wasn't bloody or anything (thank goodness, even though I know bleeding, etc., is normal at this point, I still think it would TOTALLY stress me out!)

So...... While, again, I know this can mean labor is days away or weeks away, it's kinda exciting 'cause paired with the dialation / effacement, I feel like the odds are Colby may decide to make his appearance before my induction - which would be IDEAL!!!!

If you google "losing your mucus plug" you see that this in no way gives us a timeline of when Colby may come.  Some women don't even notice losing it, some women lose it during labor, others lose it just before, others lose it weeks before.  Basically the mucus plug comes out because your cervix is dialating and effacing (thinning) and it no longer fits the space it has occupied for the last 9 months.  We already knew my body was dialating and effacing.... but maybe it's making more progress?!

But, I have to say, even if I do make it to my induction, I feel very excited that my body is doing the things it's "supposed to" to prepare for a baby's arrival.  I think my hidden fear this whole time, as we discuss the high likelihood of induction, is that my body just won't be ready, will "reject" the process, and I will end up with a c-section.  While I'll do whatever is best for me and baby, I really just want to have a natural, push him out from between my legs, birth.  No drugs? Drugs?  Who knows.... we'll see when we're there.... but I really don't want to be sliced open!

So that's the latest.  I've still promised posts about baby showers, maternity photos (we had a second set taken yesterday 'cause our friend really wanted to try out her new camera!), our mini-babymoon.....  Maybe beginning of this week?!

Oh, and we have an ultrasound on Monday to see how big Colby's getting!  Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I am totally with you....I would make michael come and look at it if I lost my mucus plug

    ReplyDelete