Sunday, August 22, 2010

Natural induction techniques.....

So.... since we're coming up on 37 weeks (which is technically considered full term) and I really want Colby to come before his induction (so I go into labor naturally, not due to drugs they give me!).... we will definitely be trying some of the "natural" induction techniques out there.  In no particular order, and who knows if we'll get to all of them, or be gutsy enough to try them... but here are some of the things people say may help kick your body into labor.

Since I'm still convinced my original due date (September 11th) was more accurate, we will commence these activities... now. :-)

Keep in mind, these techniques really only work if your body was already preparing for labor... they aren't really meant to jump-start a body that was in no way ready!  Oh.... and I won't be graphic - will just list 'em! :-)  And again, there are a few I may not try... due to some of the negative side effects they may cause....

-eating spicy foods (awesome - 'cause I've been craving spice!)
-eating lobster
-eating pineapple (though I've heard you have to eat the equivalent of 6 pineapples for this one to work.... and while I love pineapple, a) 6 pineapples is DEFINITELY not on the gestational diabetes diet, and b) I think my mouth would be PAINFULLY raw after about 2)
-making, and eating, labor cookies
-sex
-walking / physical activity (I consider the massive amounts of cleaning I've been doing sufficient)
-evening primrose oil
-castor oil
-nipple stimulation
-acupressure (pressure points in your hands / ankles)
-basil and oregano (lots of people swear by eggplant parmesean... I hate eggplant, so maybe chicken parmesean?  with not too many noodles....)
-red raspberry leaf tea (said to help "tone" your uterus and focus your braxton hicks to actually doing some good - I'd be down for that.... if I'm having them anyway!)

Do you have any other recommendations?!  :-)  I'm all ears.

1 comment:

  1. I will be trying most of these myself during this week. but there are some I am definetly staying away from....castor oil...NO thank you!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete