Wednesday, August 11, 2010

35 weeks!

Wow.  Today I'm 35 weeks.  I know I say it every week, but I just can't believe how quickly it's going.  35 weeks is also a fun one, because you are 35 weeks and 35 days away from your due date!!!  But..... we know Colby will be kicked out by the 10th of September at the latest, so we are 30 days (or less) away from meeting our baby boy!  Amazing.

I'll start with what babycenter says about Colby's development, etc., at 35 weeks:

Your baby doesn't have much room to maneuver now that he's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at 5 1/4 pounds (pick up a honeydew melon). Because it's so snug in your womb, he isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times he kicks should remain about the same. His kidneys are fully developed now, and his liver can process some waste products. Most of his basic physical development is now complete — he'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight.


Now.... I fully expect that Colby weighs over 5.25lbs by now..... considering his weight was estimated at 4lbs, 9ounces 4.5 weeks ago!!!!  Wowie zowie.

It's amazing to think that, at the latest, we will be meeting our baby boy four weeks from Friday.  FOUR weeks.  Are we ready?!  Sure!  I know he has some good growing / developing left to do, so I'd really like him to stay in there one more week, even two, but I feel like if he decides to come any time after 36 weeks I'll be content.

My mom and I were talking on the phone today, and she asked if I had mentally prepared myself for the fact that at this point really the doctor could say "we need to have this baby soon".... seriously.... and that he'd be here.  Yes, I think I've been preparing for that since Dr. B and I first discussed some of the implications of Gestational Diabetes.  I distinctly remember him saying that at 36 weeks they start REALLY taking a look at GD mommies and their babies, and whether they'd be better out or in.  That's 1 week away.  And the way I took that comment, he really meant that at 36 weeks I should be prepared at every one of my appointments for him to say "let's have a baby!".  While I'd prefer a little bit more notice (mainly 'cause I'm a planner), I know we have everything we "need" to welcome Colby into this world.  He has a mom and a dad that love him, we have a hospital to deliver in, there will be nurses and doctors there.  Heck, we've had a co-sleeper to put next to our bed since I was around 12 weeks!  Everything else is fluff.  Fluff I'd love to have when he comes - but fluff nonetheless.

Jimmy's coming to my appointments with me tomorrow.  I have my NST and fluid check ultrasound at 2pm, and my 35 week doc appointment with Dr. B at 3:20pm.  I'm so glad Jimmy's coming with.  I think we'll seriously talk to the doc about the induction process, what he's thinking (sooner? who knows? how it works? etc.), and with both of us there, I think it will be a perfect opportunity. 

Our next growth ultrasound is August 23rd.  I'll be 36 weeks, 5 days at that point.  I am definitely mentally preparing myself for the fact that I could get a call that day - or the next - saying "we should get him out of there - he's big, and he's ready".  Wow.   That would be about 2 weeks from now.  I think my mom is convinced that will happen - or that I'll at least get pushed up from the 10th..... but I guess we'll see!

So..... stay tuned.  It could be an interesting / exciting couple of weeks.  I'm just glad Colby has listened to his mom and stayed in this long.  We have a fun weekend planned - heading to Portland for a baby shower for a friend on Friday night, then a spa day with girlfriends and their moms on Saturday, a birthday party for a friend Saturday night, and then Jimmy and I are headed to the Oregon coast Sunday for a mini-babymoon (staying one night in Seaside - oceanfront).  We are so excited.  We planned this weekend MANY months ago as our "final travel weekend" and it's fairly surreal that it's here.  That was before we knew Colby would be coming early.... when he could've come anytime around the 15th - even up to 2 weeks after that.  Now that we know it's 4 weeks or less, it's even more surreal!

Well..... that's all for now.  I guess I should really go pack my hospital bag while I pack my bag for Portland, huh!? :-)  Maybe stop by the fire station to have our carseat PROPERLY installed? :-)

Oh... here's a fun picture.  This is an updated picture to one that was taken earlier in the summer.  It is of Dawn, me, and Jackie.  Dawn was due July 10th (and had baby Niko that day!), I'm due September 15th, and Jackie is due around October 15th - so we had a progression picture, and now we have a "one out, two to go" picture.  It's from today.  I swear I'm starting to drop.... but who knows! :-)



Oh, and a picture from this weekend - all fancy headed out to a friend's bachelorette party! :-)

I actually had guys hitting on me at the bars / on the dance floor.  And some who didn't realize for a while that I was pregnant.  Haha.  Talk about beer goggles! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I guess I never thought that at any appointment now the Dr could say...Baby needs to come now and send me to the hospital. But like you...I am prepared (maybe not mentally...but we have everything we need). Good luck at your appointment tomorrow...can't wait to hear how everything is :)

    ReplyDelete