Thursday, August 26, 2010

mean, mean doctor

Well, I had my 37 week appointment today - and the usual weekly NST and fluid ultrasound.  Ultrasound went well, got some cute pictures 'cause Colby wasn't hiding his face.  Not as good of quality as the ultrasound machines at the other office - but still cool.  My AFI was 19.2 - so lots of fluid.

NST went well.  Colby actually behaved today - very rare.  He was moving and shaking all over the place.  I think she got what she needed in record time - but kept me on the monitor.  Of course, he then went to sleep, and I started having some pretty decent contractions.  He seemed to tolerate them well - which is good.  They want to see either a steady heartrate during contractions, or even for it to go up, just not drop.  That's what we got. 

A couple of the contractions actually were uncomfortable.  But I'm okay with that.  Anything that suggests labor could be imminent is good in my book!

On to the mean doctor part.....

Went upstairs for my doc appointment.  Jimmy met me there - and good thing he got there when he did 'cause the doc was running early (completely unheard of!).  Weighed me.... hadn't gained any weight (again), BP was good (126/76).

Doc came in and was like "good to see you.... let's get this show on the road, and let's talk about Monday".  Instantly, I perked up!

He listened to Colby's heartbeat - strong as always.  Checked me - still 1cm dialated, 80% effaced, minus one station, posterior cervix, very soft.  (grrrr... expected a little more dialation or something with the contractions, his head being low, and the loss of the plug this weekend.... but oh well).

Sat me up - and then was like - "so... the reason I said let's talk about Monday is..." (pointing to the calendar and the fact he's on call on Monday).  I smiled and said Monday sounded good.  Then he started thinking, and typing on the computer, and realized he was on call the 10th as well (the date he gave me before), and that, based on my due date, that would probably be a better date.  Lame.  Very lame.  I whined a little, and told him that was just MEAN (he agreed.... but just laughed).  Jimmy was in the background snickering.

So we're still set to induce the 10th of September.... though I've told Colby he is more than welcome to come before that - and if he wants to come Monday the 30th just to rub it in the doctor's face - that would be fine!

He did say that I won't need to come in the night before for any prep since my body is definitely prepping for labor on its own.  So we'll go in the morning of the 10th if he's not here already and have ourselves a baby.  He is VERY optimistic that my body will respond well to the induction - and that I'll have a successful vaginal birth.

So, I guess all in all it was a good day of appointments...... but slightly frustrating!  And a bunch of my friends who are due in September (some after me) are having their babies - which makes it even more difficult!!!

Oh well..... I'm not known for my patience.... I'm hoping my son takes after me, and gets impatient and decides to meet this world before the 10th.  But if not, we'll have a baby in 15 days.... which is pretty crazy!

2 comments:

  1. ok...that was mean! I would hate to get my hopes up and than BAM! Nope...just joking! But not that long...and it sounds like your little one is making progress on his own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if we didn't live on opposite sides of the country, I'd almost think we had the same dr. Who knows though, maybe we'll end up having our boys on the same day.

    ReplyDelete