Monday, April 5, 2010

An AWESOME appointment!

Well.... I had my 16ish week doctor's appointment today.  It went GREAT!  Aside from the appointment when we got the ultrasound, I think this was my favorite appointment so far!  Here's why....

My appointment today was with the nurse practicioner instead of my doctor.  Since I don't work on Mondays I try to make appointments on Mondays so I don't have to inconvenience anyone.  Well, Dr. B was going to be out of the office, so they let me schedule it with Nurse R.

Background on Nurse R.: 
Nurse R. was the woman I went to close to a year ago for my annual exam.  At that point Jimmy and I had been trying to get pregnant for 4 or so months, with no success.  I mentioned it to her, and she ordered a full panel of blood tests, etc., to see if they could figure out what was going on.  While on vacation visition Spencer and Andreea in Washington DC, I got the call I expected - from her - saying that I had a couple hormones that were a little wacky and referring me to Dr. B to discuss this....

Flash forward to today:
While Dr. B is an awesome doctor, he is very to-the-point and doesn't ever seem rushed, but just not the kind of guy you sit around and chat with.  Nurse R. is the complete opposite.  When she walked in the exam room, the first thing out of her mouth was "well aren't you just looking too cute!?".  The whole appointment just felt like a lunch with a girlfriend (minus the food, adding in some talk about my uterus and some poking and prodding).

I was all flustered because I was supposed to bring some paperwork for Jimmy's insurance to this appointment, and after printing it this morning and setting it next to my purse on the couch.... I left it at home.  Nurse R. just giggled and asked me if I had it online or electronically - and patiently waited while I looked it up on my email (in the exam room), and printed it out.

We talked about symptoms (or lack thereof), and what to expect in the coming weeks.  She made sure I had the big ultrasound scheduled (TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!) - and said she was just so excited to find out!

Then, I got on the table and she laughed as I had to hike my full belly pants down (but agreed with me on their comfort).  As she was feeling around on my belly I asked her where my uterus is.  Haha.  Probably sounded dumb, and she giggled again, but then taught me how to feel for it.  She said she can totally feel it and the baby on the right side of my belly, and up as high as my belly button.  She said that commonly your uterus isn't to your belly button until 20 weeks, but since Eggo is just chilling on my right side, it makes sense that it's higher up (and that I've noticed lots of changes over the last couple weeks).

We then got to listen to the heartbeat.  Even though we do this every night (although we hadn't for two nights due to super late bedtimes), it was just so awesome again.  She kept laughing 'cause the baby was definitely wiggling around in there and moving away from the doppler / kicking it.  I swear we spent 5 minutes listening to the heartbeat!

She said it was 152 and sounded perfect!

I seriously just can't gush enough about how wonderful this appointment was!  It was fun, and informative, and just pretty cool.

I also had my first stranger ask me how far along I was.  Granted it was in the waiting area for the valet at the doctor's office (so it's safer to ask a woman you think could be pregnant 'cause there's a high likelihood she is)... but it was cool.  It was a guy with his 1.5 - 2 year old who was waiting for their car.  His wife is 5 months along and they had just found out today that they're having another boy!

Yay for babies!

Well, that's all for now.  Nice work if you made it this far! :-)

2 comments:

  1. hey..I am with you on the not knowing where my uterus is...or even how to feel for it. Can't wait for you to find out the sex...it is so exciting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay glad you had a good and fun appointment!! Does 'in my body' count as an answer? I totally have that down

    ReplyDelete