Friday, January 15, 2010

Shock... and awwwwwww.

So we were in shock about the fact that we were pregnant!  I called my doctor's office Tuesday morning (1/5/10), and they scheduled me for my first two appointments (Jan. 25th for blood tests / meeting with the nurse, Feb. 8th for my first appointment with Dr. B and my first ultrasound!), discussed where I'll deliver (DELIVER?!  We just found out we're pregnant!), etc.  I was still in disbelief.

Jimmy and I talked and thought about what would be the best plan for announcing the good news to our families.  They have been SO supportive of our journey thus far, and we wanted to share our excitement with them, but we were also hesitant.  The fact that this process hasn't gone as expected scared us.  What if we lose the baby?  What if those two tests were wrong (highly unlikely, but...)?  What if????

In the end, we realized there would be no way we could keep it from them until after that first ultrasound.  So we would tell them.  Jimmy and I were headed back to Beaverton that Friday (Saturday was my Grandpa's memorial service), and while the timing wasn't AMAZING, we couldn't help but think that a little bit of good news would be greatly appreciated.

Since Kelsey wasn't going to come to my parents' house until Saturday, I knew I had to call her.  Somehow I got through (happened to be one of the days she left the ranch and was in cell service!), and after some small talk, I dropped the bombshell.  She was ecstatic!  She was going to be Auntie Kelsey!  After supporting me through the last year, and calling B.S. on me more than once, she could finally share in my joy and surprise!

The whole drive to Beaverton we were excited.  Our plan was to just get there and announce it.  We couldn't wait!  About 20 miles from the Washington / Oregon border, I realized I had always wanted to do something special for my parents to announce that we were expecting.  I had envisioned a "Grandkids are one of the greatest joys" picture frame (or something along those lines), with a picture of Jimmy and I in it.  Of course, it was almost 10:00 at night, and we had nothing like that in our weekend bags.  So, of course, I requested that we stop.  Jimmy was (do you notice a pattern here?) wonderful, and stopped at the Wal-Mart in Vancouver.... and we started searching.  I was pretty disappointed with the selection.  After at least 20 minutes spent back and forth between the frame section and the baby section, we finally found something similar to my vision.  We bought it, doctored it up, put it in a bag, and were on our way.

As we arrived at my parents (both of whom were awake... I had made sure of that!), we couldn't wait.  I told my parents that I had found a left over Christmas present hiding in one of my drawers that was for them - well, for the family.  They all bought it.  My mom, dad, and Taylor stood around the island in the kitchen while my mom opened the gift.  The look on her face when she saw the frame was priceless (for the girl who loves to take pictures and almost always has my camera with me, I don't know how I forgot to have it out at this time).  Shock is the only word I can think of... but it doesn't even come close to describing it.  She quickly "wrapped" it back up (throwing the tissue paper over it), and handed it to my dad.... coming over to hug me.  My dad opened it, and a similar look came across his face.  "Really!?"  More hugs, some tears, and many smiles.  Taylor finally caught on as he saw the gift.  It was perfect.

Here's the gift - can't wait to put a real picture in that frame!

I will never forget the looks on my mom and dad's faces, and the happiness that was felt at that time.  My fears that it wasn't the right time to tell them were instantly erased.... and we felt joy and anticipation that had been missing for a while!

The next day, Auntie Kelsey gave us our first official baby gift. (my mom gave us something over a year ago, but this one's the REAL first gift - sorry mom!)




Oh... I gained a nickname that night.  AlPrego.  Thanks to my brother.  He figured it's like Alfredo sauce, but with a twist.  And he can call me "Al" for short around those who aren't in on the secret!  Awesome.

His nickname is Uncle Tot.  Please use it as much as possible!

Oh, and I didn't mention before, but Jimmy has nicknamed the baby Eggo the Embryo.  I'm not sure if the nickname will stay once it's out of the embryonic stage, but he figured it is gender neutral and sounds cool.  Kelsey's card said To: Eggo Embryo, From: Auntie Kelsey. :-)

We told Jimmy's family on Sunday via speakerphone.  They are just as excited, and we feel so much love from our families.  It's going to be SO DIFFICULT to keep from telling EVERYONE but we know it's the right thing to do, and the time will pass quickly! (though it doesn't feel like it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment