Friday, January 15, 2010

Intuition.... and surprises.

December was, for lack of better words, insane.  Jimmy and I spent barely any time at home without houseguests between mid-December and mid-January.  There were ups and downs.  We hosted "Christmas in Seattle" with my parents and brother, we visited Jimmy's parents and sister in Utah for Christmas, we participated in the Rawlings family Christmas via Skype, and somewhere in there I think Jimmy got to go skiing!  December 28th I got a phone call I never expected and won't ever forget.  Around 2:30am, my dad called to tell me that my Grandfather, Big Grandpa, Grandpa K, the last living grandfather for Jimmy and I, had died of a massive heart attack just an hour before.  Low.  Shock.  Numb.


That day Spencer and Andreea came to visit us in Seattle (it was great!), and I rode back with them to Beaverton to spend time with my family.  Jimmy came down on Thursday (New Year's Eve), and we spent a wonderful New Year's with the family - playing games and staying up late.


When we finally returned home on Sunday (it felt like I hadn't been home in a LONG TIME), I joked to Jimmy that if I had a pregnancy test (lovingly referred to as a pee stick) lying around, I might take it.  I didn't feel strange (though I had been very sensitive to smells that weekend, but that was pretty normal for me), but based off of the timeline of things, and that sense that I had mid-December, I was curious.  Of course, when I actually wanted to take one, we were out (which was strange, as we'd kept pretty stocked for the last 12 months!).  I don't work Mondays, so I planned on heading to the store the next day to pick one up - just for shits and giggles.


I forgot to go to the store that Monday (1/4/10), and Jimmy was wonderful and offered to stop on the way home.  He arrived with a box of two, and a smile.  By this point, the excited high I was feeling just the day before had worn off, and I was really not looking forward to peeing on yet another stick.  But off I went.  I felt like I had done this a million times before.  Pee on stick.  Turn stick over so you can't see the results.  Flush toilet.  Wash hands.  Turn stick over and feel the disappointment.  But this time was different.  Was that a + sign I saw?!  Wait a second.... + means pregnant.  No.


I walked into our kitchen holding the precious pee stick, a look of disbelief on my face.  Jimmy was a pro at this process, too, and looked up expecting disappointment on my face.  Instead, all I could say was "um.... really?".  He came over, smiled, hugged me, and then said "crap.  I screwed up."  Great, I thought, what was it!?  "I didn't get the ones that turn blue!"  Haha.  This refers back to one of Jimmy's favorite commercials, for Coors Light, advertising that the mountains turn blue when the beer is cold.  In the commercial, the wife comes out of the bathroom at the same time as the husband is pulling a beer out of the fridge - both exclaiming "It turned blue!"  We laugh every time, and Jimmy was sure that would be us some day!


Of course, I was then expected to drink A TON of water, and pee again, ASAP, to make sure the test I had just taken was not a fluke.  Around 20 minutes later, still in shock, a second + appeared, and we maybe believed it that time.


Because I love scrapbooking (as previously stated), OF COURSE I took a picture.  For your viewing pleasure.... the infamous pee sticks (and those wonderful + signs).





No comments:

Post a Comment