Friday, September 3, 2010

A trip to L&D

Well..... after all the excitement last night, why not make today exciting too?!

I woke up around 8:45am this morning (though not after much restful sleep - see my last post about that!).  I was moving slowly, and kinda annoyed Colby hadn't decided to come... finally ate some breakfast, then decided to go for a walk.  Walked for a while, came home, and Jimmy had called saying he'd be getting off work at noon!  I guess the office decided to make it a short day for the long weekend.

I was kinda feeling funky and having blurry vision, so went up to RiteAid and checked my blood pressure.  It was fine - 115 / 84 or something (so lower number was still up a bit..... but nothing alarming).

Got back home, Jimmy got home.... and then I kinda freaked out.  I had realized I hadn't felt Colby move all day.  I've been feeling less and less movement lately (probably due to the fact he's running out of space), but I literally didn't recall feeling him move since 6am when I woke up and went to the bathroom when Jimmy got up to go to work.  It was now 12:30pm.  That's much too long.  So Jimmy suggested I get out the doppler - that usually wakes him up.  I found his heartbeat, but he didn't seem to mind the poking and prodding and still didn't move around at all.  So I grabbed a glass of ice water, drank it, layed on my left side... still nothing. 

So.... I called the doc's office.  They want you to feel baby at least 10 times every 4 hours...... and there have been times when I haven't and haven't called, but it was now 1pm so it had been 7 hours with no movement.  They, of course, told me to head in to triage to be monitored - saying it could take a while.

Jimmy and I grabbed some healthy lunch (McD's) on the way, and headed in.  They checked me in, and got me on the monitors.  Colby was being a sleepy baby, but not having any decels.  The nurse said she'd keep him on the monitor for 25 minutes, and if she didn't get what she wanted she'd send me for a Biophysical Profile Ultrasound to check on him.  Sure enough.... around minute 24, he started moving enough that it spiked his heartrate like they like to see.  What a stinker.  Still not movement that I necessarily felt - but I could hear it on the monitor.

So she kept me on for another 15 or so minutes (not sure how long) - and he kept it up.  Still not tons of movement that I felt - but a perfect strip of accelerations, etc.  While I was there, they took my BP four times, and it started out around 150/92 (I think), and the lowest it got was 144/84 or so.  So still high.  But the doc on call wasn't tooooo concerned about that (and knew he'd be getting the results of my 24-hour urine tonight, so we'll see when that comes through). 

The whole time I kept contracting.  Not huge contractions, but they just kept coming..... again.... not necessarily painful, just there.

So more of the same!

The nurse was awesome - and said I totally did the right thing coming in - and to do it again if he keeps this up.  She also said what I've been thinking - hopefully my 24-hour urine comes back with a bunch of protein or whatever so that they pull the plug and we can stop worrying.  I had been thinking it.... but felt bad for thinking it.... but hearing the nurse say that..... made me feel better.  Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath because, the way things are going, it will be just fine, and I'll continue to play the waiting game (aka the stressed out game) until next Friday.  At least I know in 1 week Colby will be kicked out!

So.... that's that.  About 10 minutes 'til I call the doc to get the results of the 24-hour urine.... then we'll go from there.

Jimmy is just being patient, but a little peeved that I have had a wonderful, pretty uneventful preganncy for 38 weeks, and right when we're almost done Colby's being a bit of a stinker.... and so is my body I guess.  Oh well..... not too shabby - 1 week of annoyance after 38 weeks of bliss! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds exactly like my past few weeks. I'm glad this is happening towards the end for both of us! Soon enough we'll be holding our little ones! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete