Friday, September 3, 2010

38 week doc appt.

Well, had my weekly NST / fluid check / DA this afternoon. Colby misbehaved a little on the NST - had a bout of his heartrate dropping, but just up and down, not down for a while, so the nurse wasn't tooooo concerned - but she had me take the trace up to my doc at my appointment. Also had pretty consistent contractions, but not super strong. AFI went well - fluid was 20.1 (lots of fluid!). My BP at the NST was 138/84..... high for me, and borderline high.




Went upstairs and the doc was running way late... but we hung out and finally saw him. Weight was great - I think the same as last week, or within a pound. So if I've gained anything it's 2lbs max total. But BP was 138/90 when the nurse took it. Nurse was unhappy about this - tried both arms, but it didn't change. When the doc came in, he said the BP didn't really concern him, until he saw my urine results which showed some protein too. So now I get to pee in a jug for 24 hours and turn it in tomorrow.  They worry about pre-eclampsia (pregnancy induced high blood pressure - not good for baby or mom).... and if the 24 hour urine sample is funky monkey, they can / may pull the plug on Colby even sooner.



But.... the good news. The last two weeks I had been 1cm, 80%, and -1 station. Yesterday I was 2cm, 90% or more, and 0 station. Doc doesn't expect me to be preggo long enough for my induction (supposed to be a week from today). Between the progress, the BP, etc...... he also stripped my membranes (I asked him if there was anything else we could do to convince Colby to come - and he suggested it).  Basically they continue your internal exam, but dig around a bit more.  The goal is to break the ties of the membranes that are connecting the bag of waters to your cervix.  He said it induces labor in at least 25% of women within 24 hours.  Jimmy didn't want me to say anything about this part of the appointment to anyone yesterday, 'cause he thought I'd jinx it.  Today, though.... I'm over thinking I'll jinx anything.



So we'll see. I have to turn in my 24-hour urine catch today around 4, then call 3 hours later to get the results from the on-call doc and see what the plan is. Doc also said they'd call to schedule my induction todaypending the results of the bloodwork they did today at my appointment.



Last night, I started having pretty consistent contractions around 8pm (as I was on the phone with my mom). I didn't start timing them, just noticing them. Aching back, and definite tightening of my belly. Around 9 I started timing them.... 'til we went to bed around 10:30. They were coming about every 5 minutes, lasting 60 - 90 seconds each. Seemed promising. But I had DH rub my back, and tried to go to sleep.




Woke up at 12:30am - still having the same contractions. No more painful (though who am I to determine pain at this point). Thought I'd pee and fall back asleep. Tried. And next I knew it was 2am and I was still laying in bed wide awake. So I got up, came downstairs (brought my pee catcher!), and plopped on the couch / exercise ball / walked around. I timed the contractions for another hour and a half.... still coming every 5 minutes, some were as close as 3.... but not painful.



I finally woke Jimmy at 4am and he said to call triage. So I did. Of course, she said that was great..... but that they really didn't care / think I should come in unless they were PAINFUL - making me catch my breath - and 3-5min apart. Grrrrr.



So I tried to go back to sleep. Finally did. Woke up at 5:30 and 6am when Jimmy got up. Then got up at 8:45am.



I'm planning a lot of walking for today (but just around the block since I can't go too far 'cause I have to catch all my pee.)  Jimmy just called and he's getting off work at noon (the whole office is, due to the 3-day weekend..... so he'll be my walking partner.  Only bummer is he's back working in Federal Way on Tuesday if he has to go back to work - so we're REALLY hoping Colby comes between now and then..... otherwise that is a LONG drive if I go into labor and he has to come home!



Rargh.



My mom's still convinced today's the day - she's been saying September 3rd for a while.... me....??? I feel like the only way he's coming out is if we kick him out.... which could happen tonight depending on the results of my 24 hour urine..... or he'll just wait around 'til next Friday..... >:-(

1 comment:

  1. Here's hoping baby comes soon! Those contractions are doing there job I am sure!

    ReplyDelete