Wednesday, November 3, 2010

names

As I've mentioned before, Colby is named after my Grandpa, who passed away 12/28/09.  My Grandpa's name was Richard, known as Dick to just about everyone, and thus Colby's middle name is also Richard.  Every time I think of his full name, or use it, it makes me sad and happy all at the same time.  I'm not sure why, but my Grandpa has been on my heart lately, and while I am so very sad that he never got to meet his first great-grandbaby, and sometimes mad that it took us the year it did to conceive him (if it hadn't taken so long, maybe Grandpa would've met our precious baby?), I am also so proud that our amazing son will be a constant reminder of a wonderful, caring, strong, loving man who I was lucky enough to know as my Grandpa.


Grandpa shaking Jimmy's hand on our wedding day - he was so proud to be adding Jimmy to our family.  My other Grandpa, who passed away seven years ago (our freshman year of college) also saw Jimmy as part of our family (just 1 year into our dating relationship).  They could see what I see every day - that he is perfect for me.

My Grandpa with his camera - always taking pictures!

Dancing with Grandpa at our wedding reception.  He paid $20 during the "dollar dance" to dance with me.  If you can't tell by the smile in my eyes - I loved every second of it!

On a happier note....... the point of this post was to talk about names.  Colby's first name came from a book.  Yep - Jimmy was reading through a baby name book (from the 1930's that a lady I bought some baby stuff from on craigslist gave me as a joke!), he came across Colby.  We had thrown around some names before that, but they either didn't "feel right" or were too popular right now.  Colby just fit.  We tried it out, used it for a while, and fell in love with it.  I was afraid to commit to a name without meeting my baby boy, but I think that somehow I knew, even when he was baking away inside me, that he was Colby.

But what do we really call him?  Oh, our child has about a million nicknames.  We use his real name a good amount, but he is also referred to as any of the following:

Colbydoodle
Munchkin
Munchkindoodle
Doodlebug
Bubba
Colburrito (when we swaddle him)
Mr. Fussypants / Mr. Fussybutt
Stinker
The Doodler (Jimmy says that's for when he's being "evil")

As you can see, many of these include "doodle".  Not sure how that happened, but somehow he is Doodle.... or some variation of that. 

:-)  Gotta love how nicknames come about!

A recent pic of my little doodlebug.  This is the look he gives me right after he nurses.  What a cutie pie! :-)

(speaking of nicknames, the nickname "Eggo" seems to have disappeared.  Can't say I'm disappointed about that, it would've been a hard one for a kiddo to live with... but it still makes me smile!)

3 comments:

  1. Nathaniel gets called Mr. Fussypants quite a bit too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same for our Nathaniel! During his 'witching' hours he is either Mr Fussypants or Fussy Britches! lol

    BTW what an awesome story about his middle name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup - gotta love those hours!!!

    Thanks - I'm so proud he will forever remind us of my Grandpa! :-)

    ReplyDelete