Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hiccups!

Well, since I've been awake since 5:20am today due to more awful leg cramps... I figured I'd write about the fun experience we had on Wednesday night before I forgot about it!

Every night, Jimmy and I like to listen to Colby's heartbeat before we go to bed - and we say "goodnight" to him.  Now you would think this would be getting easier since he's getting bigger and there's less room in there.  It's not.  I think he's stubborn.... plus sometimes I think he uses the doppler for target practice and punches / kicks it like crazy. 

Wednesday night was no exception.  He was moving around, and we just couldn't find his heartbeat (we got the cord sound, but not the thump-thump).  I was about to give up, but as usual, Jimmy put his hand on my belly and said "c'mon Colby".  Then he said "wait, is he kicking right now?"  I focused on that area, and realized it didn't feel like kicks.  Too soft.  And too rhythmic.  I told Jimmy I was pretty sure Colby had a case of the hiccups!

Figuring that was about where his chest was (where Jimmy could feel the light bumps), I put the doppler there (as that would mean his heart was nearby!).  Not only did I catch the heartbeat (love that thump-thump), but we also caught what sounded like the hearbeat but slower, and less thumpy... timed perfectly with the "kicks" (that we were now 99% sure were hiccups)  Pretty sure we could HEAR his hiccups! :-)  The combo of the heartbeat and the hiccups was hilarious.

Yay!  Hiccups are a good sign 'cause that means he's practicing swallowing / breathing.  I've had one other time before that when I was pretty sure he had a case of the hiccups.  This morning as I was playing around on my computer (trying to be quiet so I don't wake mom-in-law or sis-in-law)... I think he had a quick case of them again.... and he was definitely practicing his dance moves in there.  While I don't really like being up at 5:20am on a Saturday..... I do love that it meant I got to feel our little guy movin' and shakin'. :-)

We have our co-ed baby shower / baby party this afternoon.  Thank you to our awesome friends Will and Dawn for putting it all together - when they're expecting a baby ANY MINUTE! :-)  They are the best.  We have family in town, friends headed this way, and it should be a bunch of fun (and I'm hoping Dawn has some embarrassing games for Jimmy to participate in!) :-).  The fact that all the wonderful men in my life are willing to play along and even come to a shower is pretty awesome!  Can't wait to see my "little" bro playing baby shower games!  And my dad!  And my father in law! :-)

Okay.... that's all.  Can you tell I have lots of energy and I've been up for over 2 hours with nothing to do!?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've felt Aydan have the hippcups yet :(

    Can't wait to hear all about your shower and see what you got :)

    ReplyDelete