Tuesday, June 15, 2010

GD implications...

As promised.... this is what I learned today about the implications of Gestational Diabetes (GD) - for the next 13ish weeks 'til Colby is due....

  • GD can cause high birth weight (this I knew already, as the baby's blood sugar might be high, which can cause them to get big).  This tends to be "fixed" by the diet, etc., but it still can happen.
  • GD can cause growth restriction - and thus low birth weights (this I didn't know.... haha.  both sides of the coin).
  • GD can cause stillbirth.  Not good.
  • Just because my blood sugars look good when I'm testing doesn't necessarily mean Colby's are perfect as well (interesting... didn't know that!)
  • With all this in mind, doctors like to start keeping better tabs on GD mommies as they get closer to their due date to make sure they can catch any warning signs of the above things happening.
  • At 32 weeks and 36 weeks (and possibly after that too) I will have growth scans / ultrasounds to check on Colby and see how he's growing.  This is crazy, 'cause 32 weeks is only two appointments away!
  • Starting at 32 weeks (and I can't remember if it will be every appointment or just some, or even more often) I will have to do Non-Stress Tests (NSTs).  This involves me being hooked up to a monitor and listening to Colby, checking for contractions, and checking fluid levels around him.  They usually monitor for at least 20 - 30 minutes. 
  • Dr. B said that the information from the NSTs and the growth scans helps them get a better picture of what's going on in there.  Again, since my blood sugars can look fine but maybe his aren't, this is important.
  • Around 36 weeks I think they'll monitor even closer.  36 weeks is when I start going in once a week - and is a time that they tend to see babies go a little crazy with the growth, etc.
  • Dr. B said most GD mommies don't make it to their due date.  I let this slide, then asked more about it later.  Basically he said that they keep an eye on the mama and the baby, and that it gets to a point where the baby will be just fine outside the womb, but if they spend more time in there the risks of complications (low or high birthweight, stillbirth) go up.... so depending on growth and my cervix, he expects me not to go to my due date.
  • Point blank he said "I likely won't want you to go all the way to your due date".  I'm sure when Dad reads this he'll be like "ask for September 9th!" if they want to induce.  Haha.
Interesting stuff.  I'd be okay with him coming early if he's ready to come out.  We're ready to meet him! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting all this...very helpful to me because I didn't know a lot of this. I see the diabetic counselor on monday and then have my next scheduled prenatal visit monday afternoon, so it will be a whole day of information I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I figured it would annoy most people 'cause it's so long..... but I agree - if someone else posted it, I'd be appreciative. Good to have more information!

    I know every mama / GD case is different. So who knows what your "rules" will be, and what yours will look like. I know he's treating mine as pretty serious because of how early (and badly) I failed.... even while on medicine that should've helped my body process insulin!

    We'll see!!!! 3 months 'til my due date today!!! Eek!

    ReplyDelete