Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The 2:30(ish) am post

Things my son does:
  • smiles when you enter the room
  • coos and talks and sings
  • rolls over constantly
  • eats rice cereal (once a day)
  • scoots around (by rolling, kicking, pushing, any way possible) on the floor and explores his space
  • chews on everything in sight
  • plays with his feet / toes
  • recognizes mama, daddy, and even the words mama and daddy (pretty sure!)
  • plays with toys (some.... but increasingly interested in them)
Things my son doesn't do:
  • Sleep for more than 2-3 hours in any one stretch at night

Okay, there are more things he doesn't do... but right now, that's the biggest one.  And the issues is not that he only sleeps for 2-3 hours (if I'm lucky - often it's 1-2) at a time.... it's that he then decides sleep is for suckers and doesn't go back down to sleep.  It's like all day - 24x7 - he just wants to take a nap, play a little, eat, repeat.  That's great during the day.... but nighttime is for sleep, and for whatever reason he doesn't get that any more. 

We're going on 3 weeks (not really sure exactly how long, but I think this change occurred sometime between Christmas and New Years) of this.  Many / most nights I get 4-5 hours of sleep - in two spurts.  I'm exhausted.  I don't work (well, I have my online shop, but I don't have to leave the house!), but that doesn't mean that I can just drop everything and take a nap when he decides to during the day.  I mean, I could, but it's hard to just shut everything off and make yourself take a nap in the middle of the day.  By the time you do, the baby is waking up.

So instead, I take a drive 5 miles down the highway and back up the highway and through the drive-thru Starbucks at 6:30am because I realize those 4 hours of sleep I got are all I'm going to get.  And I look forward to Friday night / Saturday morning because I can force (okay, ask) Jimmy to get up with Colby after the second 2-hour stretch, and I can go back to sleep - for a glorious 3 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that Colby isn't seeping well! Hopefully it's just a phase that will end soon.
    But don t you love it when he smiles at you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and your etsy!
    You have an award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete